Uses : This medication is used to treat a certain skin condition (seborrheic dermatitis, a type of dandruff). In this condition, it is believed that a fungus (Malassezia furfur) infects the skin or scalp, resulting in dry, flaky skin (scales) on the scalp, face, ears, chest, or upper back. Ketoconazole is an azole antifungal drug that works by stopping the growth of fungus.
How to use ketoconazole-pyrithione zinc topical :
- Read the Patient Information on the box.Use this medication on the scalp and skin only. Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated. Wash hands before and after applying this medication. Apply it to the affected skin and also to a small amount of the normal skin next to this area, usually once a day or as directed by your doctor.
- Do not get this medication in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If this occurs, flush with plenty of water. If irritation occurs, contact your doctor right away.
- Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time each day.
Side Effects :
- Burning, redness, or dryness of the treated skin may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
- Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
- Before using ketoconazole, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other azole antifungals such as clotrimazole, econazole, or miconazole; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.